Table of Contents
Wondering what to do with passionfruit? Turn that sweet, aromatic passionfruit pulp and seeds into an amazing smoothie bowl with this easy, gluten-free, vegan Passionfruit Smoothie Bowl recipe, which also includes bananas, oranges, chia and flax seeds, and an assortment of toppings, like coconut, berries, and macadamia nuts. Just blend up your smoothie, pour it in a bowl, and top it as you wish! This recipe is great for a healthy light breakfast, power snack, light lunch, or meal prep for on-the-go eating. The chia helps thicken the smoothie bowl to create a creamy texture. Look for it in farmers markets and supermarkets, or try to grow a plant at home for your own supply of this delicious fruit.
What is Passionfruit?
Passionfruit is a small, round, fruit encased in a green peel, which turns wrinkled and purple when it’s ripe. It grows on a flowering tropical vine in warm climates, including my home state of California. Inside the rind of this fruit you’ll find soft juicy orange flesh with dark seeds. I have a vine growing in my backyard (see above) that produces dozens of passionfruit each year. The trailing bright green vines are lovely, and the flowers are showy spectacles of purple and white petals. Are passionfruit healthy? Yes! They are packed with vitamins A and C, as well as potassium and fiber. How do you eat passionfruit? Just slice it in half, and scoop out the juice, pulp, and seeds with a spoon. I like to eat it right out of the half shell, but you also can scoop that good stuff into recipes, such as this smoothie bowl.
Turn sweet, aromatic passionfruit into an amazing smoothie bowl with this easy, gluten-free, vegan Passionfruit Smoothie bowl recipe, which also includes bananas, oranges, chia and flax seeds, and an assortment of toppings, like coconut, berries, and macadamia nuts.
- 2 cups passionfruit pulp with seeds (the fruit removed from the shell)*
- 1 small banana, peeled
- 1 small orange, peeled
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut, unsweetened
- ¼ cup berries (i.e., raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- Place passionfruit pulp with seeds in a small blender. Add banana, orange, chia seeds, and flax seeds. Blend just until smooth (about 2 minutes), allowing the black seeds from the passionfruit to remain visible in mixture.
- Divide the smoothie evenly into two serving bowls (about 2 ½ cups capacity each) and chill until mixture gets more firm (about 30-60 minutes).
- Remove bowls from the refrigerator and top with shredded coconut, berries, chia seeds, and macadamia nuts.
- Enjoy! Makes 2 (about 2 cups each) servings.
*Each passionfruit has about 2 tablespoons fruit, so this recipe will use about 16 ripe passion fruit. To gather passionfruit pulp and seeds, slice it in half, scoop out the interior flesh, juice, and seeds with a spoon, and place it in a container. You can freeze passionfruit pulp, seeds, and juice in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Serve your smoothie bowl in clear glass parfait dishes such as these.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Smoothie
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 525
- Sugar: 43 g
- Sodium: 96 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 91 g
- Fiber: 39 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: passionfruit juice, passionfruit seeds, passionfruit pulp, passionfruit flavor
For other plant-based smoothies, check out some of my favorites:
Purple Power Blueberry Smoothie
Green Pistachio Smoothie
Red Dragon Fruit Smoothie
Green CBD Oil Smoothie
Trail Mix Smoothie Bowl
Watermelon Chia Ginger Smoothie Bowl
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.